Hey, my favorite WWE PPV on the calendar! Woo-hoo!
Not solely did I watch it however I attempted reside tweeting throughout it, and sucked actually badly at that, so we gained’t be making an attempt that once more…
Anyway, I did watch it. My picks have been: Sheamus, Andrade, Corbin, Baszler (Rumble), Bayley, Fiend, Lynch, Reigns (Rumble). Let’s see how I did!
10 Ideas away!
1) Sheamus def Shorty Gable (pre-show). Gable had a great exhibiting, however there was little doubt the man who bullied him was going to win as a result of WWE rewards bullies. Regardless of what it says, bullies win in WWE. Hypocrisy in televised kind. Morons. Anyway, not too unhealthy. Gable must get someplace the place he’ll be appreciated. Impression, ROH, AEW – anyplace however right here.
2) Andrade def Humberto Carrillo to retain the US Title on the pre-show. This felt muted. I used to be anticipating some lucha libre goodness, however obtained a boring affair. It was not unhealthy, simply missing any pleasure.
3) Roman Reigns def Baron Corbin in a falls depend anyplace match. What an odd selection for opener. This was a normal boring Corbin match. Man, that man is a black gap of suck, isn’t he? Thoughts you, Reigns taking part in the Cena function didn’t assist. This was one other boring match. Not unhealthy, simply boring and missing the depth of the form of feud-ending match that is being set as much as be. They averted the ring, the pin was executed on a dugout. What this advised me was that this feud was over and Reigns was undoubtedly profitable the Rumble. Nonetheless, not a great opener.
4) Ladies’s Royal Rumble is gained by Charlotte Aptitude. This was a match in two components. It began off form of odd and disjointed (thought Otis’ save was freakin’ superior!). Then, after Belair was left alone and Aptitude got here out at quantity 17 it was like a special match, lifting depth and searching actually good. So sue me, I appreciated it. Baszler (and Belair earlier than her) appeared like killers, Phoenix appeared like she was bleeding nastily, and I did just like the ending as effectively, the way in which Baszler was dumped. That, I believe, units up Aptitude v Baszler properly for a brand new match-up. As it’s, I believe Aptitude may go after Bayley, to get revenge for dropping the title to her. Higher than final yr.
5) Bayley def Lacey Evans to retain the Smackdown Ladies’s Title. And but once more, the one who has been the bully wins. Properly executed, WWE – assist and reward sh*tty behaviour. Now, I’m not saying Evans ought to have gained – God no; her work has not been at that normal – however why deliver the bullying factor into it within the first place? Anyway, the match was not a great one. I rag on Evans and her talents within the ring, however Bayley has not been in a great match for a very long time both.
6) The Fiend def Daniel Bryan to retain the Common Title. No purple gentle about bloody time! This match was okay. Fiend had the higher hand, Bryan obtained on prime for a bit of bit, they exchanged submission holds, and The Fiend gained. There have been some actually candy strikes – Sister Abigail out of nowhere was cool – and the strapping appeared painful. However there was extra blood within the girls’s rumble, and that too me out of this – no color. Anyway, it was much better than I used to be afraid it was going to be, however the way in which it went down it was like it doesn’t matter what Bryan did it was not sufficient. So who’s going to take the Fiend down? My cash shall be on Sheamus, Reigns or Orton, none of which fill me with any sense of satisfaction. Personally, now that Bryan couldn’t do it, I’d wish to see Cesaro get a run in opposition to him and take the title at Wrestlemania.
7) Becky Lynch def Asuka to retain the Uncooked Ladies’s Title. As anticipated, a great match between these two. Actually good match between these two. That entrance suplex Asuka took from the apron to the ground was an insane bump. And Lynch offered very well that incontrovertible fact that Asuka was in her head and he or she doubted herself. This was a hard-hitting match. Not a hard-hotting girls’s match, however hard-hitting, full-stop. Just like the wrestling I used to love “again within the day”. Becky’s counter to the mist was superior. However… why does WWE at all times give us a “however”? The referee form of stoppage, conserving Asuka away after the kicks to Lynch’s head was silly. Nonetheless, one unhealthy level in an incredible match. Lynch has been WWE’s MVP for over a yr.
8) The beginning of the lads’s Rumble had greater than a shade of Diesel’s run in 1994 as Lesnar simply threw everybody out that got here after him. Even these with points – Kofi, Rey – have been tossed like yesterday’s newspaper. And… I cherished it. It was so freakin; superior. Then, the one manner they removed Lesnar was Ricochet and McIntyre working collectively.
9) Males’s Royal Rumble is gained by Drew McIntyre. After Lesnar left, it slowed down a bit of till Edge got here in after which it was continuous motion. A real shock entrant in Edge, who made it to the ultimate 4, good staff strikes, and the winner being the loner. And, judging by his interactions with Lesnar within the match, I believe we all know whose title he’ll be going after at Wrestlemania. One of many higher Rumbles in a very long time. And better of all – this was some-one new! A special individual on the prime, difficult! And I believe in McIntyre they’ve picked a great one. Trying ahead to no matter match he’s in.
10) Match of the evening – Lynch/Asuka; the rumbles have been an equal second. I obtained Three matches unsuitable in my predictions. The 2 rumbles have been superb. Asuka/Lynch was even higher. Fiend/Bryan was higher than I assumed it could be. Sheamus/Gable was additionally higher than I assumed it could be, although with an sadly predictable winner. US match was boring. Road combat was boring. Evans/Bayley was not good. For WWE, that makes this the most effective PPVs in a very long time.
Based mostly on Rumble, some matches for Wrestlemania appear to be:
McIntyre v Lesnar
Samoa Joe & Kevin Owens v AOP
Edge v Orton
Let’s see how unsuitable I’m this time!
All proper, fast replace.
NWA Arduous Instances:
2 matches have been stand-outs.
Thunder Rose def Allysin Kay to change into the brand new NWA Ladies’s Champion. Not so good as Lynch/Asuka, however far far much better than Bayley/Evans.
Nick Aldis def Flip Gordon to retain the NWA Heavyweight Title. This was a great old-school wrestling match, the kind I actually like.
NXT Worlds Collide
Three matches have been stand-outs.
Jordan Devlin def Angel Garza, Swerve Scott & Travis Banks to change into the brand new NXT Cruiserweight Champion. Oh, this match gladdened my coronary heart, harkening again to the cruisers of WCW. Liked it.
Johnny Gargano &Tommaso Ciampa def Trent Seven & Tyler Bate. One other old style match that was only a gang of enjoyable to look at.
Rhea Ripley def Toni Storm to retain the NXT Ladies’s Title. On a par with the NWA match, I appreciated this one, however Storm did really feel outclassed by the tip.
(And for what it’s price, Imperium v Undisputed Period was a great match, however solely good, nothing wonderful to me. I perceive I’m within the minority there, however… meh.)
Tags: Allysin Kay, Andrade, Asuka, Baron Corbin, bayley, Becky Lynch, Brock Lesnar, charlotte aptitude, Cruiserweight, Daniel Bryan, Drew McIntyre, Edge, Flip Gordon, Gable, Arduous Instances, Humberto Carrillo, johnny gargano, Jordan Devlin, Lacey Evans, Nick Aldis, NWA, NWA Heavyweight Title, NXT, NXT Worlds Collide, Uncooked, Rhea Ripley, Roman Reigns, royal rumble, Sheamus, smackdown, The Fiend, Thunder Rose, Tommaso Ciampa, Toni Storm, Trent Seven, Tyler Bate, US Title, WWE