Observations: Cubs rally in ninth once more, Playing cards walk-off initially appeared on NBC Sports activities Chicago
The Cubs misplaced 3-2 to the Cardinals Wednesday in a 10-inning walk-off loss, dropping to 47-49 this season.
Listed here are 10 observations from the sport.
1. For the second straight sport, the got here again to tie St. Louis within the ninth inning. Nico Hoerner reached with two outs on successful by pitch and scored the tying run from first on Eric Sogard’s pinch-hit double.
2. The Cubs didn’t rating in a tenth inning that included a questionable baserunning play by Anthony Rizzo. Ian Happ hit what appeared like a 6-4-3 double play that might have introduced Rizzo, the go-ahead run, house from third base.
Rizzo held up at third, the Cardinals bought a power out at second and, after an ensuing rundown, tagged Rizzo out. The inning ended with a Robinson Chirinos flyout two batters later.
The Cubs completed the night time 1-for-14 with runners in scoring place as St. Louis walked off on a Yadi Molina single the underside half of the inning.
3. Chirinos pinch-hit for Jason Heyward within the tenth towards Cardinals lefty T.J. McFarland. Kris Bryant, who didn’t begin after leaving Tuesday’s sport with hamstring fatigue, was unavailable off the bench, supervisor David Ross mentioned postgame.
4. Kyle Hendricks picked up a no-decision, however the ninth-inning rally prolonged his streak to 13 begins with out a loss, courting again to Might 16. He allowed eight hits and two earned runs, his thirteenth high quality begin in his final 15 begins.
5. Harrison Bader completed the night time 3-for-4 and likewise stole two runs from the Cubs minutes into the sport. The Cardinals heart fielder robbed Contreras of a two-run house run within the first with a leaping seize on the left-center discipline wall.
6. Ross mentioned pregame he was “searching for one thing completely different to get the offense rolling just a little earlier,” in batting Rafael Ortega leadoff. Ortega helped that trigger, driving in Nico Hoerner within the third with an RBI triple to provide the Cubs a 1-0 lead.
7. Ortega has had a robust month offensively, batting .400 (10-for-25), together with a 2-for-3 exhibiting Wednesday.
8. Nolan Arenado confirmed why he’s a four-time Platinum Glove Award winner. The Cardinals third baseman ranged to his proper for a grounder within the sixth, firing an off-balanced strike to retire Contreras on the plate.
Arenado then made a pleasant sliding cease within the seventh, throwing out Nico Hoerner at first whereas holding Heyward at second following his one-out double. Heyward was stranded.
9. Alongside together with his double within the seventh, Heyward (fifth) and Contreras (sixth) every hit leadoff doubles. The Cubs did not rating on all three events.
10. With these two doubles, Heyward registered his first sport with a number of extra-base hits this season.
On deck: The Cubs go for the sequence cut up Thursday night time. First pitch is 7:15 p.m. Adbert Alzolay (4-9, 4.59 ERA) and Kwang Hyun Kim (5-5, 2.87 ERA) are the possible starters.
Click on right here to comply with the Cubs Discuss Podcast.
DownloadDownload MyTeams As we speak!